Friday, September 21, 2012

October's Selection


The Weight of the Nation
HBO Documentary
Produced by Sheila Nevins & John Hoffman

Oct. 18th (3rd Thurs.)
8pm at Lieschen's home


We are trying something different this month.  Instead of reading a book, we will view a documentary and discuss it. Please plan on viewing the documentary prior to attending book club. 

A message from Lieschen:
A few months ago HBO did a special called "The Weight of the Nation", which comments on the current state of the obesity epidemic. The series contains 4 one-hour segments, available for free streaming on HBO's website. 
If watching the whole series is too much of a time commitment, Part 1 "Consequences" and Part 3 "Children in Crisis" are the two that deal most with childhood obesity, though I do recommend the entire series. I have a list of discussion questions.

I would only mean for this to be informative and positive. I don't mean to focus on our own weight, politics or anything like that. I was hoping for a discussion of how we can help our children be healthy into young adulthood and beyond.
 Here's a look at the trailer...



Click here to go to the HBO website
and begin watching today

1 comment:

Reading Women said...

Discussion questions can be found at http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/screenings/discussion-guide